Homemade Crabstick Tempura

Logo

While Mr. A was getting ice from the freezer earlier this morning, I caught a glimpse of frozen crabsticks and I had an idea for lunch. Good thing my brother in law is quite into Japanese food so we had a few ingredients available to use.

This is no way an accurate recipe as we relied on trial & error and on the Google translate app, haha.

I defrosted the crabsticks for a few seconds in the microwave to soften them up just a tiny bit but not too much for them to be too soggy. Mr. A had the idea to add veggies as well so he chopped up green bell peppers & onions to add to the crabsticks.

After peeling the crabsticks, I prepared the batter. It was not in English hence I entrusted the help of my Google translate app. The instruction said it was about 4 cups of the frying mix to 3 cups of water but since that was going to be too much, I just used 2 cups of the mix to 1.5 cups of water (ginamit ko yung cup na pang bigas). I added salt to taste and yes, I forgot the pepper, hehe.

I just dipped the crabsticks & veggies in the batter and fried them in batches of 3-5 to avoid overcrowding the pan. It was quite quick to cook so you had to keep an eye on them to avoid overcooking.

In the middle of cooking the crabsticks, I realized I didn’t check if we had anything for the tempura sauce, haha, very good. I scavenged the cabinet and brought out all the non-English bottles I found and used the Google translate app.

IMG_9493

From left to right: cooking sake, mirin, old fashioned patis, and soy sauce. I Googled for a tempura sauce recipe and found a ‘simple’ one which was 1 part mirin, 1 part soy sauce, and 4 parts dashi. We only had mirin & soy sauce, so I again, Googled for a dashi substitute. Found out that dashi is a stock made from fish and kelp; or a seafood stock base. So I Googled some more and found out that patis can be a substitute.

In a saucepan, I put in 1/4 cup of the mirin, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup cooking sake, and about 3/4 of the 1/4 cup of patis. Waited for it to simmer a bit to cook out the alcohol of the sake and did the taste test and adjusted (a lot) to taste. We grated ginger to be added after but we just mixed it in the saucepan. I doubled the measurements above since we ended up with just a small amount of the sauce during the first measurement. It ended up to be tooo salty, haha. We adjusted the sauce with sugar and (a lot of) water. 😛

It was a fun experience cooking together with Mr. A and enjoying our ‘masterpiece’ for lunch with miki-bihon pancit on the side courtesy of our helper.


Thank you to canva.com for my header image.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s